Sunday, September 2, 2012

Roasted Beet Salad With Feta & Arugula



Just so you know, I have a humongous, stupidly long list of recipes that I want to make one day.  They happen to be saved in my browser's Bookmarks section, separated by categories and in order of my desire to make said recipes.  They also happen to be residing within the food magazines that I receive regularly and store in the corner of my bedroom.  It is also possible that I have a binder with categorized recipes that have been ripped out of other food magazines.

With this veritable derth of recipes at my fingertips (I'm feeling very verbose at the moment), why why why would I choose to make something that I don't already have a recipe for?  These are the questions one must ask oneself.  This is just crazy, folks.

Last week, as I was driving back to Hoboken from my client's office in Pennsylvania, I began to think about beets.  Specifically, roasted beets in a salad.  With this image in mind, I hit up the local farmer's market and was able to snag a bunch of red beets and another bunch of golden beets. The first step of this game plan was to roast these beets.  That took place here.

I also got carried away and grabbed some arugula, corn, and basil at the market.  These are perfect fixings to create a sweet, savory, and healthy salad.  Note that this salad is more of an "assemblage" deal.  I'm sort of liking that. It allows me to start eating sooner!




Roasted Beet Salad with Feta & Arugula
makes 1 salad

Print Recipe

  • 2 small-to-medium roasted beets, quartered or chopped
  • 1/2 - 1 cup arugula, torn
  • 1 - 2 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled (goat cheese is also a great option)
  • 1 - 2 teaspoons roasted corn kernels
  •  3 - 4 basil leaves, julienned
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoons almonds, slivered or chopped
  • balsamic vinegar
  • olive oil

Layer the salad as follows:

1) Place the arugula in the center of your plate or bowl.

2) Top with the beets, feta crumbles, corn, basil and almonds.

3) Drizzle balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment